Position Title: Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Reports To: President & CEO
Status: Full-time with benefits (eligible for benefits after 90 day introductory period)
Salary range: $34,000-38,000/year
Position Summary: The Director of Marketing and Public Relations is responsible for the continuous promotion and image of the Hands On! Discovery Center (HODC). This position oversees all marketing, public relations, web, and social media strategies and will work in tandem with Director of Membership & Events on all revenue-based events.
• Develop and implement overall marketing and promotional plans that includes appropriate media platforms for the intended targeted audience.
• Design ad campaigns and all types of collateral materials ensuring a cohesive brand identity across platforms throughout HODC and externally, including strategic collaborative promotions with the Gray Fossil Site.
• Develop marketing materials and social media strategies to effectively promote all programs, exhibits, and experiences. Work closely with Vice President of Education and Exhibits on details and promotional priorities.
• Negotiate ad buys staying within budget limitations for bought media including print, radio, TV, outdoor, digital, SEO, OTT/streaming, as well as emerging opportunities that compliment and coordinate with owned and earned. media including various social media platforms, website, e-mail marketing, and press releases.
• Maintain relationships with local media contacts to distribute press releases, answer media inquiries and coordinate media events with appropriate staff members and their departments.
• Maintain relationships with local, regional and state tourism/destination marketing organizations.
• Collaborate with Director Membership and Events to maintain communications with HODC constituents (members, donors, followers) through newsletters, annual reports, CEO letters, legislative flyers, etc.
• Assist with all aspects of promotional and fundraising special events including the annual gala.
• Assist other departments as needed with tech support, membership, signage, donor recognition, etc.
• Work with Outreach Coordinator and Director of Membership and Events to keep accurate attendance and program counts and create monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports to properly document and report.
• Ensure proper and transparent communication with the HODC’s leadership team.
• Work with the CEO and leadership staff on making day to day decisions and long-term planning goals.
• Continually work with and maintain relationships with counterparts at ETSU and the Center of Excellence in Paleontology to promote and interpret the Gray Fossil Site.
• Work closely with the CEO in budget planning for advertising and public relations efforts.
• Serve on Marketing Committee and Gala Committee and serve as primary report to Marketing Committee.
• Other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
• Excellent organizational and communication skills with the ability to work with a wide variety of people, personalities and departments
• Strong writing skills
• Experience in website design and strategic use of multiple social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, TikTok, YouTube, X, and the Hootsuite management platform)
• Understanding of and dedication to the mission of Hands On! Discovery Center and its role in the community
• Computer literate, including Microsoft Office suite, Adobe design software packages, WordPress, and Canva
• Positive attitude, flexible
• Knowledge of media, statistical ROI, graphic design
• Entrepreneurial and self-sufficient mindset, ability to work independently
• Background in marketing, graphic design, communications or similar; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Background check, drug screening, and references required. No phone calls please.
Discovery Guide positions are open to individuals age 16 and older who are seeking a unique and exciting ground-level experience in the museum/science center industry. The opportunity will provide experience in guest services, visitor engagement, program delivery, tours, and much more. Hours will range between 10 and 30 hours a week depending on candidate’s availability and performance.
Please email completed applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Background check and references required. No phone calls, please.
Hands On! Discovery Center is an equal opportunity employer.
There are many volunteer opportunities are available at Hands On! Discovery Center! From just a few hours to several times a week. Volunteers can be help in a variety of areas including:
A background check may be required. Adults 18+ may volunteer in any of the above areas. Limited volunteer opportunities available for ages 16-17. Please fill out the volunteer application for review.
Completed applications may be returned to email@example.com
The Center for Excellence in Paleontology accepts summer volunteers to work during the dig season. Click here for more information.